555 Timer IC
The IC 555 is one of the most popular and most widely used IC’s. It is a versatile and extremely robust integrated circuit that is used in many applications like timers, wave generators (pulse) and oscillators. The IC555, popularly known as the 555 Timer, was developed by Hans Camenzind of Signetic Corporation in the year 1971.
Some of the important features of the 555 timer are
- The 555 timer can be operated at a wide range of power supplies ranging from 5 V to 18 V.
- It is available in 3 different packages: 8-pin Metal Can package, 8-pin DIP and 14-pin DIP.
- Timing can be anywhere from microseconds to hours.
- It can operate in both astable and monostable modes.
- High output current.
- It has an adjustable duty cycle.
- It is TTL compatible due to its high output current.
- The output can source or sink a current of 200mA to the load.
- It has a temperature stability of 0.005% per 0C.